Convention Center Palais Du Pharo - Marseille, France
The Pharo Palace, an imperial gift
The decision to build an imperial residence in Marseille returns to the Prince-President, Louis Napoleon Bonaparte who, during his trip in September 1852, would have liked to have "a house with feet in water". The city of Marseille, to thank him for his intervention during the exchange of land Lazaret between the state and the city of Marseille, acquired those of the plateau of Pharo and offered them in 1855. The foundation stone of the Residence was August 15, 1858, the day of the Emperor's Day. When the revolution broke out in 1870, the Pharo Palace was barely finished (but not yet furnished). The crowd destroyed the Napoleonic insignia of the grilles and the facade. They have never been replaced: the Empire had given way to the Republic.
A convention center in 1997
The Palais du Pharo was returned to Eugenie, after the confiscation of private property of Napoleon III, but the city of Marseille disputed it. After a long trial, the property of the Pharo returned to Eugenie. Free to dispose of it, she decided to offer it to Marseille. This residence was subsequently transformed into a School of Medicine (in 1904): the wings were raised and the internal distribution modified. Today the Palais du Pharo is a workplace for conventions, conventions and conferences. The congress area was put into operation in 1997.
A new Palace in 2013
2013, THE PALACE OF THE PHARO EMBELLI AND EXPANDED
- 12 new rooms up to 100 participants including a plenary 300 seats, with sea view
- a dining area of 1000 guests with covered terrace overlooking the Old Port
Due to the growing interest in business tourism for the Marseille destination, the City has invested 12M € in the restructuring of the Palais du Pharo. The works took place in 2012. Thus 2013, the transformation of the floors into new seminar rooms (2500m2) and an extension of 500m2 of the catering space complemented the existing system.